Thursday, January 18, 2024

Thursday's This and That: January 18, 2024

 


Happy Thursday!

I can finally share some good news!  🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

My SIL is in rehab.  My brother sent me a photo of her standing up at the walker and I burst into tears.  I'm so happy.  Later he texted me that she actually walked 22 feet which is a lot considering she couldn't sit up on Monday.  We didn't think she'd ever be able to come home.  My brother's love and devotion to her is a big part of her recovery.  I am so proud of the man he is and the care and advocating he has done for her.
💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

***

Well it's still cold here...just as it is all over the country these days.  Lucky and I are sure missing our long walks but it's just too icy.  

So of course I'm sewing in between playing with the puppy.  I finished another quilt.  This was a baby quilt that I made with a Disappearing Four Patch Quilt tutorial (found here).  I quick took a photo in the sewing room before Lucky the Textile Bandit decided to run off with it.


Last summer I was playing around (and trying to use up) charms from my stash.  So I decided to make these blocks.  In the fall, I assembled them for a baby quilt.  It wasn't the traditional disappearing four patch quilt block that I usually see so I experimented.  The colors are a bit off from the cloudy days but there are diagonal rows of the same color: red, purples, greens, etc.

I wasn't sure I would like it but once it was machine quilted, I loved it.  I'll give this to Jenny for her baby due on Leap Year Day.

***

My dog eats brussel sprouts.  

I couldn't believe it because for the most part, poodles can be picky eaters.  I made some brussel sprouts and two fell on the floor when I was packing left-overs.  Most of my dogs would have sniffed and walked away but not Lucky.  He thought they were delicious.  This I attribute to his history as a street urchin.  I'm sure there were times in his past he had to eat garbage to survive.  The vegies weren't even roasted but just plain boiled sprouts.  Fortunately, I found out it wasn't toxic for dogs (he had gobbled them down before I realized he ate them).

I try not to give him anything but dog food and plain biscuits but if I or my family drop anything by mistake, we learn he will eat things like cooked asparagus or a piece of orange.  

On the photo above, Lucky is relaxing after fun in the snow.  He has really filled out since we got him and is almost at the weight the vet suggested.  

***
I'm not sure I'll be posting for tomorrow.  I don't have much else to share this week.  So in case, I don't--have a safe and happy weekend!


7 comments:

  1. love the quilt...the blocks do sew up uber fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the baby quilt, very colorful. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news about your SIL, Michele! I'm so happy for your family! Lucky is a lucky boy to have found you, too - he is thriving. That's such a pretty quilt. I really like the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news for your whole family! I hope her progress continues. I like the block looks like a recent Addicted to Scraps block (Bonnie Hunter in Quiltmaker). Simple shapes with high contrast pack a punch. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that your sister in law has shown such improvement. Both the quilt and Mr. Lucky are beautiful. I had a dog that loved tangerines. Now I have a dog that loves cat nip toys. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy about your SIL! That is amazing news, and I know your brother and all your family are so relieved.
    That is a beautiful baby quilt. I love disappearing four patches, and the fabrics and your quilting are perfect.
    LOL on Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great news about your SIL! Love and devotion is a godsend and a healing balm and she obviously has it from your brother. Lucky looks great...we had a neighbor whose labs would eat frozen ones she tossed like popcorn into their mouths.

    ReplyDelete