Friday, January 5, 2024

First Snow


The first snow is expected Saturday night and continue until Sunday evening.  I was hoping that before that happened that I could convince Lucky to do his business in the backyard but that clearly isn't happening.  😑

I thought I would feature my snowflake quilt today in honor of the pending storm.  I've featured it before but it's nice to take a look at it again.  I'll probably sell this beauty in the coming year.


This was a kit quilt and offered by the Paragon company.  The original kit was offered in two colors the grey above and also a dusty rose:

Ad from the Winter 1949-1950 McCall's Needlework magazine. The kit featured 4 different snowflake applique blocks:





It also had a charming dog toothed border:


Much like today, quilts and home decor followed certain colorways and this is a good example of the grey that would be featured in many homes from the 1950s to the early 1960s.  At the time I bought it, I had no idea the grey would become such a popular home decor color again.

If you are expecting or receiving snow this weekend, enjoy a hibernating day in the sewing room!

Have a safe and happy day!











 

3 comments:

  1. Lots of work in that applique! Ahh, color trends -- we inherited a burgundy and forest green striped sofa with our house that had burgundy walls in the family room (now a nice shade of greige) and a forest green office, rec room, and two bathrooms(still green). Guess the time period!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smile on the young snow-shoveler is precious! The snowflake applique -- particularly the white-on-gray colorway -- is surprisingly contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is absolutely gorgeous - did you make it? How much snow did you end up getting?

    ReplyDelete