Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Batiks 2

 


Yesterday I talked about my batik project.  While I was working last week, I tried to remember when batik fabric became so popular for quilting.  I think perhaps in the early 2000s.  

But then I found some interesting tidbits--and we all know how I can't resist trivia about fabric.

Batiks were popular during the roaring 20s and perhaps even a few years before.  

1920s dress made of batik

1929

1924

Oh duh.  Suddenly all of the clothes from the early seasons of Downton Abbey make sense.  Some clothes were embroidered and beaded to resemble batiks during that era.  

Batiks were also used for home decorative items like lamp shades and pillows.

There was even a book on how to create batik fabrics.  You can read it here.  It was published in 1920.

Once the Depression hit, batiks were sometimes advertised for home goods but seemed to fade for women.  After World War 2, batik ties were advertised a few places for men.

The fabric became more popular during the wild days of the 1960s but as far as use in quilts, there were only a few articles about quilters using batiks in the 1970s and 1980s--and mostly those were what we would categorize as art quilters.

Wishing you a safe and happy day!





1 comment: