Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Designs Still Worth Doing: A Celebration of Ruby Short McKim, Prologue

 


Many of us are familiar with the work of Ruby Short McKim.  She was a famous quilt designer in the first half of the 20th century.  Like you, I was somewhat acquainted with her work.  I sure did know her book, One Hundred and One Patchwork Patterns: it was the first book I used for quilting when I attempted to use templates way back in the early 1970s.  

I also knew of her embroidery patterns that used hard angled illustrations.  But it wasn't until a few years ago that I really began to seriously study her work.  At the time, the centennial of the publication of McKim's first quilt pattern approached and I decided to research her more completely.


Now there's a lot of sites on the internet that talk about Ruby's history, my favorite biography appears here on the Quilters Hall of Fame.  I wanted my program on this interesting designer to be different than just showing old quilts and talking about her life.  I decided (for the first time ever) to remake some of her pieces as a tribute because in fact, Ruby McKim's designs are still worth doing.

Perhaps you will decide that you would like to make one or more of the pieces I show on the blog.  Many of McKim's patterns are available at the McKim Studio website here.  

Have a safe and happy day!


1 comment:

  1. So, I found your blog through another blog. Thank you for the link to the McKim site, I had no idea you could purchase her patterns. Stitch'n'Sew Quilts magazine published some of these years ago but I didn't save them. Thank you so much. Is there another way to follow our blog besides Bloglovin, which is defunct, correct? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete