Thursday, October 26, 2023

New and Old Quilt Styles

 




Happy Thursday!

I couldn't resist the above meme, but also it could be applied to people trying to fold a fitted sheet!  😀

So the swelling is receding in my hand and I'm so happy!  I've a ways to go and still can't sew (or tie a shoe, etc.) but I can type and that is a like physical therapy for my fingers.  The doctor ended up doing my thumb and two other fingers.  I'm just glad to get it done at this point.

Today I'm writing about a booklet I have from 1968.  The first thing I realized when I read this book was how much the quilt patterns resemble quilts one could purchase at Sears back then.  I've always wondered if there was a stigma at that time for using homemade quilts.  


On Wednesday, I reviewed the book again and thought how so many of these patterns resemble "new" patterns being used by quiltmakers.  You can tell me your thoughts.

Of course, hexagons or mosaic quilts have endured for centuries.  It was obviously a popular motif in the 1960s as well:


Diamonds and elongated patterns are now really popular.  I don't think I ever saw a quilt from that era using these patterns but they are sure popular now!



Jordan fabrics offers a variation of this pattern on their website here.


Bonnie at Quiltville's Quips and Snips calls the her rendition of this pattern, "Lozenges",  and you can find here pattern here.

What do you think of these patterns?  

Tomorrow is Flower Friday and we would love to see how autumn is looking in your neck of the woods!  Mary has already emailed me 2 photos and I'd love to see yours!  Email photos to allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe and happy day!




2 comments:

  1. LOL on that meme! So glad your hand is healing and yes it's always nice to get that kind of thing behind you. Interesting thought about "stigma". Back in the 70s and 80s, I loved my Granny's quilts that I inherited, but I kept them hidden away because they didn't "match" my decor. What a dork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a number of those quilt pattern compilations -- booklets, I guess. As I look through them they appear to be pretty much from the same source (=inner pages are same font, same illustrations) though cover art varies as does publisher -- Aunt Martha's, Capper's Weekly. (One says, "Order now from NAME OF YOUR PUBLICATION CRAFT BOOKS.") I wonder if anyone in ASQG has published any research about the originator of these designs/booklets and how they came to be syndicated.

    As to the actual patterns -- I think they're a challenge! Partly the technology (as I said, templates and scissors) but also minimal instructions. But I've been quilting long enough that I when I look at a block or an entire quilt I immediately envision how it breaks down into units.

    ReplyDelete