Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Martha Washington Patchwork Designs

 Some place in my stacks of things, I think I have a copy of Martha Washington Patch Work Quilt Book.  


I have a weakness for pretty art noveau style pieces and this catalog had a few memorable pieces in it.  I love the poppy quilts like this one:


The catalog was published in 1915 or 1916.  Offered by The St. Louis Fancy Work Company, the ad said the catalog was Sophie T. LaCroix.  I've read some articles that suggested she was only the editor.

1916 newspaper ad from Missouri

My favorite poppy quilt from the catalog.

A catalog that featured the name of Martha Washington must have an homage to her famous husband:

There are a lot of cherry tree quilt patterns.  I've seen a few but not this particular one.  It certainly seems..futuristic or even cubist?

Have a safe and happy day!









No comments:

Post a Comment