Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Diann's Suffrage Centennial Quilt!


Diann's suffrage centennial quilt is truly wonderful!  Here is her inspiration description:

I grew up in Rochester, New York, also the home of Susan B. Anthony from 1845 when she was 25 until her death in 1906. The Susan B. Anthony Museum and House at 17 Madison Street in Rochester is a place I visited more than once while growing up there. With 2020 being the Women's Suffrage Centennial, I've enjoyed learning more about Susan B. Anthony and her contemporaries who worked so hard to give me, and all women, the right to vote. We owe them so much!

To honor Susan, and my home state of New York, I've made a New York Star. This is a paper-pieced block and can be found at the Quilter's Cache website. I made the New York Star in the American Suffrage colors of purple, white, and yellow which symbolize loyalty, purity, and hope. Evidently, the color yellow was also used to pay tribute to Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton who used the sunflower during a campaign for state suffrage in Kansas in 1867. The yellow floral fabric in my New York Star fits the suffrage colors and symbols as well.

While doing a bit of research to write about my suffrage quilt project I found this interesting article!
https://www.fastcompany.com/90309194/progressive-women-are-wearing-white-they-should-wear-purple-and-yellow-too



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring my suffrage celebration mini quilt, Michele! I'm going to share it with my book club (who read the Votes for Women book earlier this year) next week.

    ReplyDelete