Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Work Rhythm

 


Hello and happy Tuesday!

We were supposed to get a light snow on Friday night which turned out to be 7-12 inches (depending on what part of the valley you were in).  Late Saturday we got squall warnings across our phones but none occurred in our neighborhood.  Still it is February 20 and I can feel March coming!

I spent the weekend caregiving and working on my shoo fly blocks.  The blocks have become a bit of an obsession at this point.  I started out using 1930s reproduction scraps.  But sometimes a block is so much fun to make and you develop a rhythm.  


I love when that happens and soon I was opening the suitcase full of actual 1930s-1950s scraps and going to town.  


It's the idea of the rhythm that is so appealing.  One article I read defined it as "the ability to work without feeling overwhelmed or stressed."  

Hand quilting used to provide me with that kind of peacefulness but I can't do that anymore.  So it's wonderful to find tranquility when making a block.  It's a simple block, one I haven't made in decades (I think the last time I did these blocks was with my Nana).  

There was a time I felt like I should do more challenging blocks or make some kind of artistic statement.  But the beauty in getting older is dismissing those kinds of feelings and embracing what makes one happy.

Shoo Fly blocks make me happy.  Is there a project that makes you happy these days?

Have a safe and happy day!




2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think my "making a statement" days are really on the wane. It's more important to be content with my work than stressing over what someone else might think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you wrote that about making a statement. I've been dithering over choosing a pattern for a quilt, and I keep being pulled to make it simple. My thoughts yesterday were "but I'm more advanced than simple", and today I'm thinking simple can be every bit as artistic and fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete