Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Why We Quilt

 




Happy Tuesday!

Maybe some of you are like me: grateful when the holiday season is over.  Even though we don't do a lot anymore, it still feels like I'm holding my breath through the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Happily, my sister-in-law is home from the hospital and we got to see some family over the holidays.  Sometimes I get grumpy at all the things I need to do over the holiday break and then... something happens that changes everything.

On Saturday, we visited Hughie and the family.  His wife had been killed in a car accident in September.  Throughout last year, I had planned with Paula (Hughie's wife) about Christmas quilts for each of her children and their family.  They were finished and I took the quilts to gift the families.  

I don't know what I expected, but I was surprised by the reaction, especially from the kids.  One child--who was in the car when her grammy died--wrapped her family quilt around her like a robe and was still wearing it when I left.  I walked by the family room and saw two different cousins together snuggled under another one:


Sometimes we forget how our simple gift can brighten a difficult time.  The kids were prompted by grown-ups; they just liked having a family quilt.  I surely didn't expect the reaction that occurred.  It made my day and I hope it makes yours.

Have a safe and happy day!








5 comments:

  1. Those quilts were a blessing to the family and you received a blessing in return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragic thing to happen to that family. And what a blessing the quilts were. How timely was Paula's quilt planning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Definitely why we quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I get grumpy and overwhelmed around the holidays, too, Michele, and like you, we're not that busy anymore, so it's pretty silly to feel that way. But something always happens to remind me about what's most important. Sounds like your quilts are going to make a difference to Hughie and his family - such a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a tangible representation of enduring love....

    ReplyDelete