Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Hubby humor


Good morning and happy Tuesday!

Next week my hubby is leaving for another business trip.  He's pretty happy right now because his wife made him a couple of meals while he was home.  Let me explain...


For many years, especially after his brain injury, he would critique the meal I made him:

"This is good but you should have done this." or "I would have done this..."

"A little bland but okay."

Or when a meal was really good, he would say, "Boy, you just can't beat the (fill-in-the-company) meat, vegetable or whatever from this place or that."

As you can imagine, after a while this grated my nerves.  My husband can make a decent stir-fry but to be honest, he's not a very good cook (although he thinks so).  He's one of those cooks who thinks if a little chili pepper is part of the recipe, then a whole lot will make it even better.  

So little by little...I stopped cooking for the two of us.  I still made big meals to feed my mom, brother and sick sister-in-law.  Hubby ate those and was happy for them.  But I just gave up on meals outside of that for the two of us.  

It sounds mean but I was just exhausted and he fended for himself.  I never thought of it as going on strike although I had.


But lately  I found some recipes I wanted to try.  And actually there appears to have been a method to my madness rebellion.  

There's been a change in our household.  Every time he comes to the dinner table now, he is so appreciative, and even THANKS  me before we sit down.  One of my recipes was so-so but he thought it was wonderful:  "I'd eat this again!"


So hubby is happy and I'm happy too.  I don't know if you've ever experienced this but it sure makes me laugh every time I think of how appreciative he's been.

Can you relate?

Have a safe and happy day!




 

1 comment: