Monday, January 15, 2024

Mysteries in the Textiles and Sewing Kit.

 


Remembering Martin Luther King Jr. today.
Wishing you a day of peace and reflection and kindness!

***

Good morning!

Today I'm thrilled to share some mystery textiles.  I just love a good mystery don't you?



The first was reported by the New York Times and shows a wonderful bustle dress (not above).  There was a message found in a secret pocket of the antique dress.  For more details, check out the dress and read the story here.  


Years ago, Beth and I created a program called "Money, Myth, and Madder" on women's roles and women's quilting during the Civil War.  The photo above shows one of the mini quilts I made for the program.  We knew that women worked as spies for both sides of the war but last weekend, Beth sent me a link that gave me goosebumps.

It's from the The Huntington Library in California and it is an amazing video to watch.  You can see it here.

I'll never look at my old spools of thread the same again! 😄

By the way, the mini quilt featured a replica of an Abolitionist textile that states:  "Am I not a woman and a sister?"

Have a safe and happy day!







No comments:

Post a Comment