Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Tuesday's This and That: December 9, 2024

 


Happy Tuesday!

I have a couple of things for this and that this week!

I've suggested a few podcasts from Haptic and Hue and another is available that focuses on Ukrainian embroidery.  Sewing can be subversive in the best kind of way.  For many cultures, it can be a way to hold onto the identity of a people while enduring oppression.  Ukraine is one of the areas and I'm hoping to listen to this podcast this week as I sew.  You can listen to it here.


***

Our guild recently shared a drive for Quilts of Valor blocks and if you are interested, you can go here for pattern instructions and here for where to mail your blocks.

***

I've been reading and sometimes following Karen Brown's declutter challenge at Just Get it Down Quilts.  What I like about Karen's suggestions is that she says, just do 15 minutes a day.  I usually do longer than that but it is a good way to get things organized in the sewing room.  You can read her blog here.

***

Janet, my sister-in-law, was moved out of the ICU yesterday.  She is still a very ill woman but we feel blessed for the victories we get.  The one good thing about the snowstorm is that it forced my brother to go home to rest.  When one is a caregiver, everyone says, "be sure to take care of yourself."  And if you are or have been a caregiver, you know that is so difficult to do.  Jim finally got some sleep this weekend.  

 If any of you are in this situation, my heart goes out to you.

***

Wishing you a safe and happy day!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad for your SIL and your brother that she got out of ICU. Yes it is difficult for a caregiver to rest; hopefully this will give him a little bit of peace.
    If that top photo is a sample of Ukrainian embroidery, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed the podcast. I'm Ukrainian on my dad's side. My grandmother was always embroidering. Also, she had a big loom from Sears and Roebuck in the basement. It's gotta be genetic! Further proof, the story of the women pulling the plow. One has to have generous thighs to do that! Toward the end of the podcast, the quilts sent to Europe during WWII are mentioned. The book Passing on the Comfort explains that. Very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm -- do you mean January? I have a piece (placemats? runner?) in the stash with that kind of folk-art cross stitch. I am convinced that people buy these as souvenirs and never use them, or give them to recipients who never use them. I understand what your brother is experiencing. (I quickly concluded that caregiving is not my forte.)

    ReplyDelete