Friday, October 7, 2016

McKim Monday


This month let's look at McKim's Aster Quilt, a pattern that we know mostly as Dresden Plate. This is a great illustration of how a pattern might be referenced in a variety of ways.  If you are interested in learning more about the various names of patterns, I suggest you pick up Barbara Brackman's BlockBase or one of her encyclopedias of quilt patterns.


Ruby's pattern has many MANY "petals" and although I have many dresden plate quilts, I only have one that has the correct amount of petals (or blades):


This is a quilt top that was made locally and is made up of a variety of 1930s fabrics on a field of green.
 I like that this piece doesn't have a center appliqued atop.  I find this a more soothing arrangement. 

Have a wonderful week and enjoy the fantastic weather!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment