Wednesday, October 23, 2024

subscription boxes

 


Happy Wednesday friends!

Recently I received an email from a reader who asked what I thought about quilt subscription boxes.  The question surprised me although I had seen the advertisements for Mrs. Quilty boxes.

Some of you might not be familiar with the subscription boxes.  You can place a subscription for a surprise box of fabric, goodies, and patterns from a variety of companies.  The amount of subscriptions offered actually shocked me and so did the price:  the boxes range from $30 to even $100 per month.  


On Sunday, I looked at some Youtube videos about these products.  You should check them out if you are interested as there appears to be a wide range of quality in some of the boxes.

 Many of the videos and articles I read said this might be useful for a new quilter.  My advice would be to visit a local quilt store and enroll in classes.  In some cases, this isn't possible (depending on location) but some younger people enjoy learning from youtube.  

🠞🠞🠞If there's one thing I learned from working at the college is that there are many ways people learn.  Some folks need to hear things, others have to see examples, ask questions, etc.  That's why if it is at all possible, go to the local quilt store.

As for me--like many of you, I'm not interested.  


I suspect many of you are not either.

My reasons:

1. Many years ago, I think I mentioned that I don't do mystery quilts.  I want to know what the quilt is going to look like before I spend a lot of time or money on the project.

2.  I like picking out my own fabric.  There are colors and kinds of patterns or fabric that I am not interested in adding to my stash.

3. Most of us have a deep stash of fabrics that exemplifies decades of fabrics.  We are concentrating on using our stash as much as possible and finishing UFOs, etc.  

4.  I suspect that this is too expensive for the products one receives.  

I'm interested to know what you think and if you've read or watched any of the reviews of these products.

Have a safe and happy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment