Friday, July 5, 2024

Flower Friday: July 5, 2024

 


Happy Flower Friday!

How was your holiday?  

Our holiday was quiet but good.  This week there were no submissions for Flower Friday; I expected that because of the holiday.  So this week I'm just featuring a few flowers from my front yard.


I put perineal gladiolus in my garden about 20 years ago and I can't believe that they are still coming up.  They seem to bloom different times depending on where they are in the garden.  I just love the orchid-like flowers!  


Did you grow up with gladiolus?  My Nana Elsie (paternal grandmother) had them in her garden.  My mother said she thought hers were perineal too.   In the Northeast part of the U.S., we have to pull the bulbs each year because they are tender (unless you get the perineal ones)  Nana Elsie had them along the south side of the house but never  pulled them up.  The more likely reason?  The warmth of the house sustained the heat for the bulbs just enough.  I did that with cannas for years.

I'm a big fan of daisies this year:


And coneflowers:

The butterfly bush has been blooming for a few weeks and the butterflies and hummingbirds are back!


Wishing you a safe and happy weekend!






3 comments:

  1. What a treat to see all these lovely flowers! We will long for these come winter. Thanks for sharing Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see pics of your garden, it's so very lovely. Those gladiolus - just beautiful! My Mom loved gladiolus when I was a kid. We never had any, but she never failed to point them out in someone else's garden. I thought they were "OK' but not really interested in them until the last couple decades. Now I love them! I also love cannas, but they were quite invasive when we planted them in Oklahoma. I'd love to have a big expanse of land where I could plant them and just let them grow wherever they wanted. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your butterfly bush and coneflowers are so pretty. I think we may have had gladiolas when I was a little girl, but I have never planted them. Yours are very pretty. I just recently found your blog from a link on Canadian Needle Nana. I will be reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete