Thursday, May 9, 2024

Weeds

 


Happy Thursday!

Tomorrow is Flower Friday but this post is a preamble of sorts.

Lucky and I have been working in the garden as much as we can these days.  Well...Lucky contents himself with the ball most of the time.  He does take a few breaks to try to steal my gardening gloves. 😄

I had to do some investigating this week.  My mother had a plant that was all abloom in her front yard and I don't remember ever seeing it before.



My brother referred to it as "weeds".  After investigation, I realized that it was just a vinca with a unique leaf coloring and standing tall (unlike mine which is more a carpet look).  It has filled a good portion of her front yard and is holding it's own against the ivy.  No one knows how it got there or how long it's been there but it's pretty and I think it should stay.

Years ago, I saw a pretty plant at an old house we visited for some kind of quilt meeting.  This week, I saw it again at the park:


This morning, I found some blooming in my backyard and had to research it.  It's a plant called "Star of Bethlehem" and is considered an invasive plant in Pennsylvania.


It's growing among my painted ferns which means I'll pluck it out.  I really don't need anymore invasive plants.

How are things going in your garden?  Send us photos at allentownquilter@gmail.com for Flower Friday tomorrow!

Have a safe and happy day!







1 comment:

  1. Love the variegated vinca. Speaking of invasives, I had a chuckle at a local garden center a couple of weeks ago when I saw dead nettles being sold as a perennial ground cover.

    ReplyDelete