Thursday, April 11, 2024

Grandma's Kitchen

 



Good morning!

I was fortunate enough that my great-grandparents lived long enough for me to get to know them.  Our family took frequent rides "up home" to Shamokin, Pennsylvania were Grandma and Grandpa lived.  

Both of them had a great sense of humor.  Although Grandma was a great cook, Grandpa made angel food cakes and called them "good bread".  Grandma could crochet in her sleep.  Years after Grandpa died, she'd fall asleep while crocheting at my Nana's.  There'd even be a little drool coming down from her mouth but her fingers continued to work the yarn.  As kids, we thought this made her magical, no one had heard of muscle memory.

Their home was a double: on one side lived Grandma and Grandpa and on the other side, lived Uncle Russ who was their son.  The main gathering place was Grandma's Kitchen.  It had been redone in the 1950s and had grey counter tops, white cupboards, a grey formica table and chairs that sported a coordinating grey vinyl.  Grandma's additional accent color was red (a color she loved--and a color my Nana, her daughter, detested).

It was a large kitchen and in the corner...where once had a been a wood burning stove was Grandpa's green rocking chair.  Very similar to this:

But with all wooden arms (like this one):
(both images found on pinterest).

Grandpa's chair was incredibly comfortable but as soon as the old man walked in the room, we all relinquished his seat.  It was Grandpa's chair and we all knew it even though he never became cross with children.

We talk about color and memory but textiles hold memories as well.  Sometimes a specific fabric stimulates a memory.  For me, it was this combination of colors.  I have no idea where this fabric originated.  I even wonder if my Aunt gave me this fabric when she cleaned out Nana's house (in which case, it may have come from Grandma because of Nana's aversion to red).  Nor can I remember if Grandma's curtains were made from this feed sack fabric.


All I know is that the fabric has always reminded me of Grandma's Kitchen.  My friend Lizzie suggested a green accent color, perfect for Grandpa's chair.  I thought it needed some white as well.  Eventually I settled on a gingham style throw and finished the top a few weeks ago.


I'm going to use this as a picnic quilt.  I had enough fabric to make some table runners as well.  One for my mom, my Aunt who remembers the kitchen as well as I do, and my neighbor who just loved the colors.  


Have you ever felt compelled to make something because it incited such a strong memory?

Have a safe and happy day!










2 comments:

  1. Love this story. :) The gingham using the print and the green you remember made such a pretty quilt! Daddy had a chair in the corner of the living room, positioned for perfect TV watching. If someone was sitting in it when he entered the room, no words were uttered, but a "glare" would take place. That was his chair and everyone learned it pretty quickly. What I remember and long for the most from our old home is the mantel. It was a 1940s house with a carved wood mantel, and I know it is still there, since the house was on the market a couple years ago, and I saw photos. I love your idea, but I am not sure about how to make a quilt representing it. Any ideas?
    How wonderful you knew your great grandparents! I only knew my two Grannies, as both grandfathers died before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not in my mother's wheelhouse to make something with fabric, however, when replacing her carpet we walked into the carpet store and both of us instantly picked out a red carpet with a blue medallion because it reminded us both of the Turkish carpet in her childhood home. What a trigger!

    ReplyDelete