Thursday, April 4, 2024

Bird Wars

 


Happy Thursday!

Two times in the last week, I was almost accosted by birds around our house.  I had to put my hands over my head and jump away because the birds were swooping so low.

The house sparrows are to blame.  Years ago, we removed all the bird houses in our backyard because the sparrows were killing the wrens, titmouses and other small birds (and their eggs).  We found the carnage all over the place.

Despite our best efforts, I recently found a deceased small woodpecker they had killed.  Now apparently they are going after the nests but they certainly chose the wrong species to prey on.  The robins are having no part of this and fighting back.  The cardinals will be fierce as well.


There's a reason that house sparrows are not the state bird of any state.  Nobody likes them.  They aren't native to North America and they weren't even native to England but brought in to that country at one point to control insects.  You can read about that here.  I read once that the sparrows came to the U.S. via hitching a ride on early explorer ships.

At this point, I'm a little paranoid about being outside with the wars going on (you can sometimes hear flocks of them attacking a bird in a bush or a tree).  My husband suggested I wear a football helmet but we all know with my luck, the birds would get stuck in the face mask.


Now I noticed the grackles in the neighborhood as well (another aggressive bird).  Sheesh!

What are you seeing in your garden?  Any bird wars?  If you have any photographs to share for Flower Friday, please email me at allentownquilter@gmail.com

Have a safe bird-free battle day and enjoy yourself!







3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how crazy! I had to laugh about the football helmet suggestion. :D I had no idea house sparrows were so violent to other birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. Yesterday the sparrows have been ruthless here for weeks. One walked right up to as if to spit in my face. LOL. Mother nature is paying them back today with a surprise storm. We have 5" of white fluff already and it isn't supposed to stop until tonight. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bird wars here, but last week we observed *flock* of robins. I inquired (my sister is an environmental educator and knows these things) -- they flock when they are migrating.

    ReplyDelete