Thursday, May 9, 2019

I like Thursdays; May 9, 2019

It's Thursday and that means we post something positive on the internet for "I Like Thursdays" hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color.

How are you doing this week?  I've been under the weather but still we go on...

Sleepy skinny Scout says, "good morning!"

We've seen a new bird down at the pond this spring.  I've seen them elsewhere but now they are residing also in our neighborhood park.
It's a red-winged blackbird and we are delighted to welcome them to our neck of the woods!  The males have the red/orange spots; the females I keep confusing with wrens or sparrows because they are very non-descript.


I know I've talked about this before but I love lilies of the valley.  They were the first flowers I ever received from a man.  My Dad gave me a small pot of them when I was about 4.  I remember feeling in awe of the responsibility of caring for something living and when the actually bloomed, I felt like this:

Other things blooming:




 I like Irish and Scottish Moss:
Now that we only have one dog, we are putting more ground cover in the yard and we are hoping this takes off.  

 Last weekend I put in a path and planted the moss alongside of it.  Unfortunately it still looks a mess because I have to protect it from a puppy who thinks all new plants should be christined (and not in a good way).  These old chairs are doing the trick for now:

Where the old tree had been, I am hoping to put some kind of contemplation corner.  This is a work in progress and I haven't had the energy to do much with it the past few days but my infection is responding to antibiotics so I hope to garden by Sunday or so.

I hope you have a lovely week!  Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are feeling better. It's so nice to be outside at this time of the year. I grew up with lots of red-winged blackbirds around. We had the perfect habitat - old fields and water (I lived on Squaw Run Road - I love that name.) I'm always on the lookout for them on barbed-wire fence posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling better! This was a bad winter for me. I had 3 colds which is unusual! It's so nice to see all the flowers blooming. Winter is finally over!! Scout is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete