Monday, October 14, 2024

More Quilts and Secret Societies

 


Hello friends!

Last week I touched on that there around the mid nineteenth century, special degrees or auxiliaries for women were created in many secret societies.


The Rebekahs began in 1850 as a branch of the Odd Fellows.  There are tons of articles describing quilts that the Rebekahs were making in the 20th century.  I do have a quilt made by a local woman who was a member of the Rebekahs. 
 





Another group affiliated with the Masons was/is the Order of the Eastern Star (OES).  This group was also founded in 1850.  I found a lot of patterns with the Eastern Star name.  I have no idea whether this had to do with the OES or Christmas.

 



The pattern below is the one that I think most resembles the star used by the EOS.  What do you think?


Have a safe and happy day!






No comments:

Post a Comment