Monday, September 28, 2026

Thursday's This and That: October 1, 2026

 


How are you doing this week?  Sorry I've been AWOL but I've been busy.  This week I'll start with quilting news.

Have you seen the Stolen Neighbors Quilt?  It was made in Minnesota and is quite impressive.  It took about 28 people to carry and featured 11,000 squares--one for each Minnesota immigrant who was stolen.  The quilt was initiated and worked on by 150 (or more) quilters.  I believe it was supported by an  interfaith coalition and some humanitarian groups.  You can see the video here.

***

My husband's cluster headaches have faded...for now.  I've been doing most of the work around here since he retired because he has been sick.   Once the headaches ceased, he complained of a toothache.  I handed him a phone and told him to call the dentist.  



I've also been cooking a lot so that there is food in the freezer for after my hand surgery (in 19 days).  This weekend I made  Tarragon Chicken which I hadn't made for 15 years or so.  Hubby and my mom loved it and I had enough to freeze some for later.  A recipe for it is here.  I didn't have the lemon on hand and used dried tarragon (about 2 T) but it was really good.  I served mine over rice.

***


On Monday I was at Mom's--making her breakfast and getting her pills ready.  Lucky went into the family room and I thought he was getting one of his toys.  He started growling and doing the "danger" bark.  I went into the family room right away and there he was barking at the window.  It was weird because he can't really see out the window because it is higher than his height.

Then I realized what he was warning us about:

This cheeky squirrel kept walking on the outdoor window sill.  I have no idea why.  My mom doesn't have a bird feeder or anything. 

I told Lucky he was good watch dog and he seemed pleased with himself.


***
My great niece Remi loves cats and has been bugging her parents for one for years.  She's 4.  Maggie (her mom) finally broke down and now Remi has Shadow a nice boy cat that she adores.  Maggie sent me lots of photos of them together but I think this one says the most.  Shadow clearly loves and trusts her as well.



Wishing you a safe and happy day!

1 comment:

  1. The chicken recipe looks great. I grow tarragon and am anxious to try. The quilt is impressive. Not sure why the giant frog was there. Remy and Shadow are precious. So glad she was allowed to adopt him. Pets are so important for children to experience.

    ReplyDelete