I was supposed to have surgery last Wednesday. I was a little nervous about it because my husband had been getting cluster headaches the week before. He seemed to curb the headaches with hot compresses and advil and he assured me he would be able to pick me up for the surgery and care for things.
Well the postponement of the surgery turned out be fortuitous. By 11 a.m. my husband had a really bad cluster headache for hours. I contacted our GP. She prescribed medication for him that is supposed to help prevent the headache from happening. She referred him to a neurologist and he has an appointment for November.
It had been about 14 years since my husband's last group of cluster headaches. No one knows why they start and the number one treatment is--believe it or not--oxygen. I've been taking my husband to the ER 3 times since the really bad attack last week (on our GP instructions). He gets O2 and is better in less than an hour. We finally got a prescription for an oxygen tank at home and hopefully that will be able to give him instant relief.
These headaches are so bad they are referred to as "suicide headaches" because the pain is so bad that the rate of suicides or suicidal thoughts is very high. The headaches come on really fast. He can't drive right now incase one should happen. He is also wary of any little twinge right now. This is common for people suffering from this terrible ailment.
So I'm taking care of everything. The hospital (who now know him by name) and the GP are trying to arrange an earlier neurology appointment. Actually, I was surprised we got a November appointment. The usual wait is 9-12 months. 😠
I'll keep you posted. At least my mom is doing pretty well these days so it's not too much for my brother to be looking after her. In return, he kidnaps Lucky.
Hoping you have a safe and happy day!
No comments:
Post a Comment