Monday, August 2, 2021

Irresistible Embroideries

 Happy August!

August came in yesterday with a day of gentle and much needed rain!  The garden seems to sigh in relief and I think so do gardeners.  We look outside with contentment knowing we don't need to water and it's too wet to weed.

I delighted in puttering around my house and decided to tackle cleaning out the linen closet.  I always kept some pretty vintage embroidered cotton fingertip type towels in there.  When you go to an antique mall/store is there something you just find irresistible?  


For years, hand embroidery was my compulsion.  I began before I collected quilts.  I told myself that embroideries aren't hard to store.  I also had a desire to "rescue" the pieces that were not appreciated enough for families to keep.  When Nana Elsie died, no one had wanted her embroidered linens.  I was delighted to claim them as my own.

Yesterday I ironed and refolded some of the little towels and scanned them to share with you.  I just think they are dear but to preserve them, they need to be upstairs safely stored so they aren't mistaken for rags.








A lot of work went into some of these towels, especially the first and the last one posted here.  Aren't they adorable?  I was always taught that the image was put at the end of the towel so that the work can be seen when hung up or folded on a counter.  I was surprised to find this ad from the 1950s that horizontally places the motif in the center of the towel:


Well I'm off to walk the dog and do a little weeding.  Have a safe and happy day!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my, these are all so sweet. I admit to being a sucker for vintage linens. I cannot walk by one in an antique store without picking them up. They almost always come home with me. If they have stains, I use them. They look great in my vintage kitchen. If they are in great shape they go in the box for a special quilt. It is the only way I can think of to preserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming display, Michele. You are right -- they are irresistible. I feel as though I'm rescuing them.

    ReplyDelete