Monday, May 17, 2021

Rhodendron

 I hope you had a pleasant weekend!

I spent the entire weekend and most of last week working in the garden!  I'm trying to get the garden set-up so I can switch to maintenance and not the massive weeding, planting, mulching and soaker-hose set up I've been doing.  I'm tired and a bit sore but it's a good tired.  This past week I haven't done much sewing (or anything else for that matter).

It's lovely being outside right now.  The rhododendrons and tree peonies are beginning to bloom:


The tree peony flowers are those large pink flowers with the yellow centers.  Yes, the flowers are bigger than the rhododendron clumps.  The purple rhododendrons are always the first to bloom for me.  The pink rhodies are just gradually showing their petals right now.


I know I 've shown this top before on this blog but that was some time ago and I thought I would share it again.


This is a vintage rhododendron quilt top from my collection.  It was a kit offered by the Progress Company and sold in the early 1950s.

Individual flowers grace the border of the piece:

I have a weakness for 20th century floral kit quilts.  I just think they are lovely and a wonderful way to show off your favorite flowers!


Have a safe and happy day!










1 comment:

  1. I love rhododendron season. When we used to visit my mother-in-law in Johnstown at this time of year, they would be so impressive. I'd never seen so many and of such a large size as in that town.

    ReplyDelete