Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Suffrage Sewing Week #2: Readers respond and Aunt Susan's Quilt

Good Morning!  Yesterday I received two emails from readers that I would like to share with you before I post about suffrage sewing.  What are you working on?  You can share your photos and story with us by emailing me at allentownquilter@gmail.com


Isn't this quilt fantastic?

My name is Madelon. I am a retired elementary teacher. I started this hand pieced basket quilt as I traveled back and forth to my hometown in Illinois during the 90’s. I collected and used fabrics from my mother, my friends, and my scrap pile. I am finally finishing the hand quilting on it by doing the borders. I used a basket pattern on some of the borders. One of my granddaughters will probably get this one. 

Here's one for us dog lovers from Sam (Samantha) C. :
My name is Sam and I have been sewing for about 10 years.  I work in eye care and love all the 20/20 jokes this year.  I have 2 dogs.  I love to sew, walk my dogs and bake for my hobbies.  Here is a dog quilt that I am working on.

Your projects made my day and I'm sure our readers will love seeing them too!

Now as for suffrage--did you know that Susan B. Anthony made a quilt?
She was affectionately referred to throughout the United States as "Aunt Susan" and was a leading force in the suffrage movement.  I've read articles that her first speech was at a quilting bee in Cleveland but haven't found much research to substantiate that claim.

Like most women, Susan learned to sew when she was a child.  One biography of Anthony said she was "noted for her skill with a needle."  Like most young girls during that time period, she made a sampler;  you can see her sampler here.

Anthony also made a Lemoyne star quilt in 1834 when she was 14 years old.  Perhaps you too remember a few years back when her quilt made news in quilting magazines.  Her quilt had become so fragile that a replica was made to be shown to the public.  You can look at the replica and read the story here and here.
A Lemoyne star quilt from my collection; the top was made circa 1840.

In 1900, a Pittsburgh newspaper reported that Aunt Susan's quilt was featured at a Suffrage Bazaar held in Madison Square Garden in New York at the Susan B. Anthony table, as well as many other family antiques.  It's not known how many other events the quilt accompanied the suffragist but perhaps that is why the quilt was so fragile later.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of us!  
Have a safe and healthy day!





No comments:

Post a Comment