Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Hexies

 


How are you today?  

We are expecting rain (again) here in eastern Pennsylvania but it sure beats snow!  

Sewing goes in waves and fads.  The last few years cross stitch has made a strong comeback and a lot of folks are doing English paper piecing.

I've never made a quilt involving hexagons.  It isn't the idea of English paper piecing that stopped me--I used to love handwork.  I think it is the look of hexagons.  

I knew someone in the quilt world who for a while kept collecting different kinds of hexagon quilts.  It was actually astonishing the different varieties she found.

In the 19th century, the pattern was often referred to as "mosaic".  

One young man, made a mosaic quilt to heal his heart:

1886:


The pattern is quite old and considered one of the earliest patterns used for quilts.  Here's a lovely coverlet dated 1790-1820.

Many are arranged like this one that was begun in 1864.

In the 20th century, we referred to them as Grandmother's Flower Garden and there is a vast array of layouts.  I found two at a yard sale down the street many years ago:



As much as I enjoy this piece, I think I love the scrappy hexie quilt I received years ago.  It's a sentimental piece and was gifted to me from a friend.


This is what we refer to as a quilt that used a "deep scrap bag".  There are many fabric pieces from the 1920s and extend back as far as the 1890s.

Have you made a hexie quilt?  Would you like to share one for Flower Friday?  

Have a safe and happy day!




3 comments:

  1. The clipping about an Illinois man reminds me of the astounding hexie quilts at the Illinois State Museum by Albert Small. Apparently he commented on his wife's quilting. She responded that if he could do better, go ahead. And he did. https://www.museum.state.il.us/muslink/art/htmls/ks_piece_hexsm.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I like to look at others' quilts, I have no desire to make hexies. That might change someday - who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting read for me this morning. I have a pile of paper hexies as a kit somewhere that I ordered. I haven't felt the impulse yet to start a big hexie project though I've enjoyed several small projects. I love EPP.

    ReplyDelete