Thursday, September 21, 2023

Roses in the Garden and Quilts

 


The days are getting cooler.  It's that time of year when we decide what we want to keep and rearrange our garden before the first frost of the season.  This fall, I'm removing two more rose bushes.  One tea rose is diseased.   Another is blooming very little because it doesn't get enough sun anymore; the Pee Gee Hydrangea tree has grown so large that it shades the bush too much.

There was a time when I had a whole collection of tea roses in the garden and babied them all through the summer.  One by one they each faded or got diseased and I'm now too old to be messing with them.  The only roses I'll have left are the climbing ones on our front arbor.  Climbing roses seem to resist disease more than any other type (in my experience).

Do you have roses in your garden?

Roses have always been represented in quilts.  Here are a few  patterns from the 1930s that I've collected:

1934

Radiant Rosebuds, 1933:

An interesting take on yo-yo's in 1932:

1934

1933

Are you rearranging your garden this season as well?

Tomorrow is Flower Friday.  Please email me photos you would like to share (allentownquilter@gmail.com).  

Have a safe and happy day!






No comments:

Post a Comment