Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Fabric Choices

 



We love fabric.

The idea for today's post came from Robin over at I Like to Create blog.  She wrote a comment after the Inspirations post this week about how much fabric inspires her.

One of her inspirations?  The fabric itself.  She wrote: "I am strongly influenced by fabric trends which I've tried to tame with minimal success. I've got a pile of Tilda fabric without a project in mind and I have a FQ stack of Jeanne Horton fabric waiting for the right idea. I love love love CW (Civil War) era fabrics."

That got me to thinking and wondering about your fabric choices.  Fabric for our quilts can be meaningful.  

In an hilarious newspaper article from 1898 (Liverpool), a breach of promise lawsuit was reported.  The lady--Miss Owen, cited that Captain Jones had reneged on a promise of marriage.  Part of the evidence cited:

"In the course of cross-examination, he denied giving her ties to make quilts (Laughter).  He often sent letters to young ladies with his fondest love, and they used to be written by a friend because he could not spell (Renewed laughter)..."

I'm not sure what the Victorian symbolism of giving fabric (or ties) for a quilt meant...perhaps for the lady's trousseau?


Color symbolism is not helpful here.  So many times people have very personal reasons for gravitating towards a colorway.  I'd love to know what colors and fabric lines you choose and...why.  This is the kind of post that sentiment is absolutely celebrated.


So here are some questions for you.  

What fabrics and colors do you absolutely gravitate towards?  

Does that choice tend to be the largest selection in your stash?

Is there a specific fabric line you own that you haven't used yet or can't decide what to do with yet?  Or a collection of fabrics that you just can't bear to cut yet?

How about this:  do you prefer white or natural (or another color) as a blender in your quilts?

Do you like picking out your own fabrics for a quilt or do you prefer to use a specific line of fabric?  I know that some quilters have told me they have a difficult time choosing fabrics and/or colors.

Do you think that the colors you choose symbolize anything?  Are there colors you prefer not to use?  

Is there a specific (or sentimental) reason you gravitate to certain lines or colorways?  An example I can give is that I love 1930s fabric because it reminds me of Nana Betty.  

One of my friends suggested that perhaps we choose colors that we often wear as clothing.  I'm not so sure about this but would love your insight!

And lastly, do you see the colors you choose in your quilts reflected in the color choices you make in your garden?


I'm looking forward to reading your choices!

Have a safe and happy day!







5 comments:

  1. My favorite color is blue and I have absolute no problem picking and arranging them in a quilt. But green! gives me so much trouble. I often end up buying several pieces of green before I find the correct color. I don't usually buy fabric bundles, too often they have pieces I don't want. I'm more of do my own thing kind of person. That said, I just ordered a on sale jelly roll of mixed blues because you can never go wrong with blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ties could be used in crazy quilts, were typically made of silk back then

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lime green is my neutral

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Gretchen, I struggle with green -- never seem to have just the right shade. In the past I went through a yellow and then an orange phase -- still have lots of those on the shelf. Last summer I noticed I had very little blue so I stocked up -- yet to cut any of them. Lately I seem to be attracted to pastels and a more restful palette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me many years of quilting before realizing that I am a rainbow quilt person, and anything goes! I was never very good at picking out what "goes together." I have enjoyed making a couple two color quilts - blue and white and red and white, but I always gravitate back to all the colors of the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete