Monday, February 27, 2023

Applique Crib Quilts

 Happy Monday!  I hope you had a good weekend!

Even when quilting wasn't extremely popular, it seems like quilts were still made for babies.  This weekend I checked on some online sites to see what is available.

There were more than I expected that were machine appliqued.  Not to be unkind (and I'm a women who's used this technique) but I'm grateful that we have better these days.  During the mid-20th century, there appears to have been a trend of doing zig zag machine applique.  

 



I actually love the piece below:


It's zig-zag applique but done fairly well and the piece is designed in an intriguing way: 

Throughout the century and even today, a lot of blanket stitch was done by hand.  A lot of women used the old broderie perse technique and cut out images to make the textile:



This is possibly an earlier piece and reminds me of old rattles that babies used:  

My favorite was this one and Beth would have loved the clothesline use (she is crazy for clotheslines and clothespins):





All of these are available on Etsy if you are intrigued.

Wishing you a safe and happy day!



No comments:

Post a Comment