Monday, December 5, 2022

Kettle Cloth

 I was feeling pretty proud before my hand surgery.  I had cut enough blocks to keep me sewing (and not cutting) through the recovery of the surgery.  It all seemed great and I was really proud that I had used so many of my scraps.

I went to my mother's house the day before the surgery.  "Oh by the way, I have bags of fabric for you from Amy and some of my old scraps too!"

I thanked her graciously, emailed a thank you to Amy and then went home to check out the bags.  I also laughed at myself because just when you think you are done...well you aren't!


I went through the fabric.  Some I couldn't use at all like this dotted swiss which wasn't really dotted swiss.  The dots were made of some kind of polyester or rayon and adhered with some kind of glue.

But there were some things I could use and then I came upon some of the solids and this selvage jumped out at me:


Kettle cloth!  I had completely forgotten about kettle cloth!  The fabric reminded me of a pant suit my uncle-brother (he's my age) bought me before I started high school.  Kettle cloth was the rage during the 1960s and 1970s.

If you have no idea what the fabric is, here's an article on it.  Most people don't think it was manufactured after the 1970s but I did find some ads in the 1980s:
1982

And the 1990s:

But none at all once the new century began.

The orange color of my cloth reminds me of the 1960s and 1970s and the orange, gold, avocado colors of that era.  Did you do any sewing with that fabric?  

Late 1960s/early 1970s kettle cloth dress adorned with owls (also very popular in the 1970s and back in fashion again!).

It's a really nice durable fabric and I wonder if it will ever become fashionable again...time will tell!

Have a safe and happy day!


4 comments:

  1. I remember Kettle Cloth, but I don't recall sewing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, yes. Burnt orange, avocado green, and harvest gold: the earth tones of the 60-70s. Very organic! Peace out, man. My mother collected owls. But she was not a hippie. I remember kettle cloth but don't remember sewing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember kettle cloth! My mom made all my clothes growing up, and I'm pretty sure she used kettle cloth for some. I remember the texture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I sewed on kettle cloth. I remember one particular dress. I also remember bekettle cloth being made into tablecloths and napkins for trousseaus in the 60's. The fabric was topstitched about 1 inch from the edge and then was purposely frayed so the tablecloth would have a fringe all way around. The napkins were fringed too.

    ReplyDelete