Thursday, May 26, 2022

Rickrack

 Rickrack!

Over at "With Strings Attached" Nann has posted some vintage notions she posted.  Of course that got me thinking about rickrack!   You can see the post here.  I never knew about the Wrights coupons that she wrote about.


Many of my local sunbonnet quilts feature dresses that are embellished with rickrack.  
 
There's a lot you can do with rickrack and from time to time I include it in a doll quilt or wallhanging.  Probably one of my favorite things I've seen done with rickrack is this that I found on pinterest:

I looked up the history of Rickrack and found it was invented in the mid 1800s but wasn't called "rickrack" until 1880.  A really good blog post about rickrack history is here.

A popular border from the 1930s: 


1937
💗💗💗
If you have anything to share for Flower Friday, please email me at allentownquilter@gmail.com!





4 comments:

  1. I'm just caught up on my reading and so enjoyed your posts with the happy memories they often bring me. My one doll that stands out is the Eaton's Bride doll I got for Christmas when I was 10. My brother decided to give her blonde hair a haircut...the upset that followed is why I remember her! Meanwhile how nice to have granddaughters in the family...I have two grandsons and not quite the same. Rickrack was definitely in everyone's sewing baskets back in the day. That duck row is so imaginative. And I also love how those tiny stitches were made to hold down the rickrack on the hat and dress. Just darling, isn't it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved rickrack. It goes in and out of style but I've liked it regardless of the trend. It's just one of those things that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granma Jean, OR, USAMay 27, 2022 at 5:26 PM

    Somewhere in our collection is a collar made of ric-rac. I hope it didn't get lost in our move.

    ReplyDelete