Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Tuesday's This and That: October 26, 2021

 


Above:  a small piece of vintage western fabric I found in my stash this past weekend!

At the risk of wearing out the cowgirl theme, I had to share this comment from Libby because it is such a great story!

"When the kids were young, Roy and Dale came to our little town in the early 50s to present a bronze trophy of Trigger to our "safest school in the nation" (not sure how we earned that title).  It always had a prime location in our trophy case and when the school burned down, local boys ran into the building to save Trigger!"

***

For this week's Friendship Friday, how about sharing something fun about yourself?  Specifically--the first or worst cooking calamity you ever had.  
Did you know that publishers consider cookbooks to be among the hardest to publish?  A lot of great cooks and chefs can prepare food but it is harder to explain-- specifically-- what the reader needs to do.  For my money, Ina Garten still provides the most thorough instructions.  I have had a few cooking calamities and here is my kid's favorite:

 Nana Betty made the best Lemon Meringue Pie and I thought it would be nice to make one for my first husband.  I had never seen one done and this was well before the internet so I called Nana for instructions.  I was very good at following instructions so she gave me the ingredients and how to make the lemon filling.  

The meringue took the longest for her to explain because she kept reiterating, "you have to beat and beat and beat, Michele!  And then beat it some more!"

I was pretty proud of my high peaks but it still didn't look right and I worried about what I had done.  When my husband came home I showed my husband and said, "I don't know why it doesn't look like Nana's."

"Aren't you supposed to bake it?" he asked.

"She didn't say anything about baking!" I wailed.

When I called my grandmother and asked her, she laughed and laughed.   Truth is, she hadn't shared with me that aspect at all.  She assumed I knew it.

This Florida postcard has always tickled me.
Just whisper lemon filling and pile on the meringue!
***
Some Halloween themed pieces I've made:

A table runner for my kids in orange and black that featured cats.


A wall hanging I made for my granddaughter about 15 years ago.  It was a free online pattern but I can't remember the name of the blog.

That's it for today!
Have a safe and happy day!






7 comments:

  1. I left out the most important detail -- Trigger had a jeweled saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lemon meringue pie story. I learned from my grandmother how to make Lemon Meringue pie from scratch, it was my dad's favorite. Still is, whenever I visit or he visits I always make him a pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is funny! I will try to remember to chime in on Friday, but I must say that most of my cooking ends up in some sort of calamity! I do have that little cowboy print in vintage and repro. I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon meringue pie is my favorite! So yummy! great story.
    Pretty table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a funny story about the meringue! My grandmother made lemon meringue pie from scratch, and my mouth still waters thinking of it. I do have the recipe, and have made it, but not recently. I might have to make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your halloween projects. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the pie needs fresh grated lemon rind after browning of the pie sprinkled over the top.

    ReplyDelete