Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Holiday Week

I don't have much planned for the blog this week.  My gift to myself is taking it easy this week. 

 Last weekend our friend Barb posted an email to our study group to wish everyone a happy and safe holiday.  Most of the members of the group have "hit reply" to check in and share Christmas greetings and wave at our group.  It was so wonderful to hear from everyone!

Alice sent this nice photograph of an embroidered Christmas tree she made years ago, it's delightful!


Like most of you, my husband and I won't be spending Christmas with our children or grandkids.  The only person I spend time with besides Brad is my mother.  I check on her every day.  Fortunately, we've all been isolating so long that we can spend Christmas with her at her house.  Among our happy moments these days are the interaction of my mother's new puppy with our dog Scout:
 

I've been listening to James Taylor's Christmas album while I sew Christmas lap quilts for the next year.  In particular, I am moved by his version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.  He recorded this version years ago but it is absolutely appropriate for 2020.

I've heard this version decades ago.   I can't remember who  recorded it with the same lyrics (someone popular but relatively unknown now like Kay Starr) but I remembered the different lyrics than we normally hear.

Instead of singing-- 
"From now on, our troubles will be out of sight," 

Taylor sings:
"In a year our troubles will be out of sight..."

As we all await for our vaccines and pray for normalcy, I'm keeping this song in the back of my mind.  I pray that you and your families remain safe and that you have a peaceful and healthy holiday.  

"In a year, we all will be together
If the Fates allow
Until then, we'll just have to muddle through somehow
And have ourselves a merry little Christmas now."







2 comments:

  1. I love that embroidered Christmas tree- so pretty! I am taking it easy this week, too, Michele. So glad you can be with your mom this year - mine lives far away and she is struggling some this year with not being able to be here. I do love those words from the song - I hope the fates will allow us all to ve together next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his version and it is true! Hoping for a better new year. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete