Monday, January 27, 2020

Updates

A lot has been going on and I wanted to update all of you on some of the latest suffrage news.

First off I have received wonderful emails from many of you and even photos of the quilts you are working on!  We are delighted with your enthusiasm!  

I love the ingenuity and creativity I'm seeing in your photos.  I won't post photos of the quilts until after the July 4, 2020 deadline but I will share with you one creative solution that Kathleen C. shared with us.  It's fairly difficult to find ribbon with yellow, white and purple.  Enter Kathleen C. who made this wonderful ribbon by combining three kinds of ribbons to get the absolutely perfect combination:
She glued the ribbons together and it makes a wonderful suffrage pin!

If you are sponsoring or planning a suffrage event, you may find Kathleen's ingenious idea helpful!

Next on the agenda are some dates that I will be doing speaking on various suffrage topics. 

Suffrage Gardens and the 1915 Campaign
Yes, there were suffrage gardens!  Invented by Pennsylvania suffragists, the gardens became a nationwide phenomenon.  I will warn you that there is very little information about the gardens on the web (I'll be doing a blog post on them in late May) which is why I copyrighted this particular lecture.  

Now I know that many quilters are gardeners as well.  You may wish to know more about the gardens and I'll be giving this lecture at a variety of places including two public venues:

Schwenfelder Library and Heritage Center:  March 11, 2020

Historic Bethlehem:  May 2, 2020


By the Chimney No More:  Women and Quilting from 1865 to 1920

Historic Bethlehem:  June 13, 2020

Beth and I are giving this lecture at many quilt guilds this year but if you are unable to attend the lecture at your guild or your guild hasn't booked us, feel free to contact Historic Bethlehem for a ticket.  My understanding is they are announcing the programs in February, so I would wait until next month to contact them.

Suffrage in the Valley

Historic Bethlehem:  August 15, 2020

This lecture discusses some of the suffrage work that was done in the Lehigh Valley.  We chose this date because it is so close to the actual centennial.  Discussion will include local suffragists, prominent suffragists who visited this area, and other aspects of the suffrage cause.

Looking forward to seeing some of you at these events!  Have a wonderful day and keep those emails coming!






No comments:

Post a Comment