Saturday, April 2, 2016

Adventures in Quilt Collecting...

I've had many adventures during my brief stint as a quilt collector.  This is what I found one day in Allentown at a second hand shop.  It seemed like a fairly normal tied comfort of feedsacks...
I especially liked the big pieces with the sledding dogs:

I knew there was something unusual inside of it so I took a chance.  I'm not sure if this happens in other parts of the country but I've been lucky to find at least two pieces that had a different style of batting in it:  a quilt!  In the northeast, I've seen a number of these kinds of quilts at study group and I'm always excited to unwrap the outside carefully (if possible).
I untied the piece and found...  

A tumbler quilt!  How wonderful!  It did need a little work, the quilter had cut the binding off to use it in the quilt.  An easy enough fix and then I realized...

It was a two sided quilt!!!  A nice log cabin on the other side. I've passed this piece on to my friend Beth now but we may use it later in a program.  

This weekend might hold some surprises as well.  We've been experiencing an unusually warm and early Spring but forecasters are suggesting we may get some snow and frigid temperatures.  Not yet time to put away the snow shovels and salt, I fear.  But it is a good time to thread up because...

Have a wonderful quilty weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment