Thursday, February 11, 2016

Frugal Quilting: Last word


You know you are a quilter when you look at your friends and families clothes and think, "hmmmm, I could sure use that fabric in my quilt."

Allie commented on a great idea to bulk up your stash at a reasonable price:

"Great ideas, Mickie! I would add one - I shop the thrifts and pick up shirts that are 100% cotton - not too thick, not too thin, and use them for quilts. The bigger the better, lol. I look in Queen size first. And a few years ago, my mom and aunt found $3 pajama pants in all cotton, they got several pairs, and they're going to be used in a quilt for mum. I think Bonnie Hunter is the men's shirt quilt queen, but I don't go for stripes and things, I like the pretty florals, lol."

Shirtings have been popular for quilts for over a century.  This quilt top, called "Aileen's Nine Patch", is probably from the early part of the twentieth century.  


Aileen was a friend of our family and when she passed, this top was found with some of her old family things and given to me so it is a treasured piece.  The colors are soothing and it would look great in a shabby chic room.
I particularly like that it has conversational prints in it:
Have a great day!



1 comment:

  1. Oh Mickie WHAT a treasure!!!! Maybe I should look in the men's dept. too...I love the shirtings!

    ReplyDelete